Tuesday 9 October 2018

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #128

1st to 27th September.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Then She Fell (Kingsland Ward)
2. The Band's Visit (Ethel Barrymore)
3. Sylvia (Old Vic)
4. 42nd Street (Theatre Royal Drury Lane)
5. The Lehman Trilogy (National; Lyttelton)
6. Aristocrats (Donmar)
7. Dust (Trafalgar Studio 2)
8. Dance Nation (Almeida)
9. Fun Home (Young Vic)
10. Othello (Shakespeare's Globe)

Who was the best performer in number one (Then She Fell)?
I was very taken with Julie Seal's performance as the White Queen.

Why did you go to see number two (The Band's Visit)?
Honestly? So I have a leg to stand on next time the Band's Visit vs SpongeBob SquarePants debate rears its head.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Sylvia) that you liked?
Sorry, no. But it's technically a work in progress, so probably for the best that I don't fall in love with any of the minutiae until it's locked down.

What would you give number four (42nd Street) out of ten?
10 for the dancing, 6 for the book.

Was there someone hot in number five (The Lehman Trilogy)?
Oh honestly, who am I to try denying Ben Miles's ongoing sex appeal?

What was number six (Aristocrats) about?
I tell you what it was not about, it was not about a posh cat and her three kittens trying to find their way home to Paris with the help of some less posh cats.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Dust)?
Probably Milly Thomas, I guess, out of the cast of thousands.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Dance Nation)?
Definitely Maeve's bit about flying.

Would you see number nine (Fun Home) again?
Hell yes, bring me a West End transfer (please)!

What was the worst thing about number ten (Othello)?
It was alright. But I've seen some really good Othellos, so if a production is only "alright" then that probably counts as enough of a worst thing in itself.

Which was best?
Sylvia. Even though it's technically a work in progress.

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
Fun Home was a weeper, but none of the others. Which is weird, because Othello does usually set me off.

Did any make you laugh?
I think Sylvia did, but none of them were strictly a laugh riot.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I have no particular role preference but wouldn't mind being involved in Sylvia. Or Dance Nation or Othello, for that matter.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Definitely The Lehman Trilogy, even though they did their level best to reduce the quality of the seat by raising the stage. I also loved my literally back row seat for The Band's Visit, I had SO much space around me!

No comments:

Post a Comment