Tuesday 9 October 2018

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #129

28th September to 3rd October (NEW YORK SPECIAL THE SECOND).


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Oklahoma! (St Ann's Warehouse)
2. Anastasia (Broadhurst Theatre)
3. Head Over Heels (Hudson Theatre)
4. Puffs (New World Stages)
5. Sleep No More (McKittrick Hotel)
6. Oklahoma! (St Ann's Warehouse)
7. Sleep No More (McKittrick Hotel)
8. Sleep No More (McKittrick Hotel)
9. Once on This Island (Circle in the Square)
10. Bernhardt/Hamlet (American Airlines Theatre)

Who was the best performer in number one (Oklahoma!)?
There's a sizeable part of me that wishes I'd never seen The Tin Drum, because I just don't know how I'm supposed to exist in the same world at the same time as Damon Daunno while maintaining any sense of mental or emotional stability. Also Gabrielle Hamilton was absolutely amazing, I never want to see a traditional dream ballet ever again.

Why did you go to see number two (Anastasia)?
It was available at the TKTS booth and I don't think it's a strong contender for a West End transfer any time soon.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Head Over Heels) that you liked?
Look, I enjoyed it enormously, but I'm deeply unfamiliar with the work of The Go-Go's [sic], and the dialogue was pretty awful.

What would you give number four (Puffs) out of ten?
7.

Was there someone hot in number five (Sleep No More)?
You know what, I'm in a really great place right now where I don't know the names of any of the cast members. I love that I can go, that I can throw myself into it, that I can have a really intense evening, and then just leave it all behind me when I exit the building.

What was number six (Oklahoma!) about?
A bunch of idiot children who probably shouldn't ever breed but all too clearly cannot wait to start the process with each other. (I say that with love, honest.)

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Sleep No More)?
See earlier answer. From this performance, it might have been whoever was playing Hecate. She clearly wasn't expecting to see me sitting quietly in the empty bar but deposited a lipstick kiss on my mask anyway, which was an incredibly eerie and dreamlike experience at the time.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Sleep No More)?
In this particular performance, I enjoyed spending quiet time up on the fifth floor, and being taken into the hut in the forest for some tea.

Would you see number nine (Once on This Island) again?
I probably would, I thought it was a really incredible production (of a show that mostly charmed but also enraged me beyond measure).

What was the worst thing about number ten (Bernhardt/Hamlet)?
Not enough Bernhardt.

Which was best?
Oklahoma! or, as it is more accurately sometimes called, Sexy Oklahoma!.

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
Once on This Island was a problem.

Did any make you laugh?
Head Over Heels was very amusing, and Sleep No More had more than a few moments.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
Generally speaking I would like to play Ado Annie. In this specific production I would LOP OFF A LIMB to play Laurey. And I wouldn't mind having a go at Aunt Eller in the future.

Which one did you have best seats for?
I had a (slightly too) terrific seat for one visit to Oklahoma!, the TKTS booth paid off nicely for Anastasia and Head Over Heels, and I honestly can't complain about my Once on This Island or Puffs seats either.

No comments:

Post a Comment